Day One – Miami or Bust

Day One is almost over and I’m happy to say that everyone has arrived at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Miami with no major problems.

I went to bed at about 12:30am on Sunday morning and woke up at 3:45am to get ready for the drive down. The weather was perfect, so I was optimistic that we wouldn’t have any weather related problems. I asked the kids to meet at 5:30 in the Fargo airport. I’m happy to report that by 5:25 every kid except for one (not naming names here…well…Justin) was in the terminal and checking in. As Dr. Popejoy says “on time is late, and early is on time,” or something like that. It certainly made me feel more at ease (Justin was there by 5:35). A great start if there ever was one!

No issues getting to Minneapolis, and once there we met the choir kids who had elected to go home Saturday night and meet us in the airport. That left only one student, Joe, who was competing for UND in the National Intercollegiate Flying Association SafeCon 2014 (the team got third place). He met us in Miami. The flight there was also uneventful except for Lynneah’s talkative seat mate, but those of us who sat near to them got to listen, and that was quite a wonderful experience.

At the Miami airport we finally met our guide from Harmony International, Jane. We are excited to work with her.


We had some small issues getting to the hotel, but in the end we all arrived safe and sound. We split up for naps, lying by the pool, and eating.

Daniel needs a nap

Daniel needs a nap


We came back together for rehearsal. We’ve had some rough rehearsals over the past few weeks, but this one was great. The students had clearly worked hard on their music and a lot of progress was made.


We had talked about having Niki’s abuela and tia Isabel (mentioned previously in this post and this one) come and watch our evening rehearsal. They showed up about halfway through, along with Niki’s cousin Zoe. I think they really enjoyed themselves, and it was wonderful to see them. It was especially great to put a face to those lovely recordings that I posted about earlier.

Niki's Abuela Gisela

Niki’s Abuela Gisela

Jane gave us the good news that instead of needing to be at the airport four hours early, we would only need to be there three hours early. So that’s one more hour of sleep. I’m really looking forward to it. I don’t know when I’ll be able to post again, but will make every effort to get a summary of the trip into Cuba as soon as I can. Now, I’m off to bed.


One thought on “Day One – Miami or Bust

  1. Thank you for journaling this amazing opportunity so that family and friends can share in the experience as well! Praying for a safe trip and a wonderful time for everyone!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s